Stratford Ladies Blues 33 BDR 30
Comets Tornadoes 56 Pink Ladies 19
Shooters Sparks 31 Thunderbirds 22
In a very tightly fought contest, Stratford Ladies Purples played Trust Helping Hands this week. Trust shot well and took an early lead, but by the end of the first quarter Purples were passing well through the court and led by 2 goals. The match continued to be very close with some excellent interceptions by Trust’s Katie Desmond and Rachel Goodman. However, Purples managed to stretch their lead by a couple of goals each quarter. Trust came back very strongly in the final quarter but fantastic movement from Sam Murdoch in attack for Purples allowed them to hold their lead and take the match.
In an equally close match, Stratford Ladies Blues played BDR. Both teams fought hard and there were some excellent defensive efforts from both teams with Debbie Mertens Dixon (GD for BDR) and Lottie Baird (WD for Blues) both being recognised by the umpires for their interceptions. Blues took an early lead and remained a few goals ahead for the majority of the match. In the last quarter, BDR were closing in quickly with some excellent feeds from Jas Hastie at C. Despite this, Caroline Whitfield kept a cool head and kept the goal count ticking over for Stratford Ladies, giving them the win.
Shooters Sparks met Thunderbirds in the late match. Again, this was a very close match with the lead changing after almost every centre pass. Thunderbirds started strongly and the ball moved quickly through the court with Carolyn Stacey at centre being recognised by both the umpires and her opponents for some great passing and positioning. As the match progressed however, Sparks became more confident in their shooting and were converting at almost every opportunity; Rebecca Heath (GS) likewise gaining both umpires’ player and players’ player.
Comets Tornadoes played Pink Ladies this week in a match with many fantastic interceptions. Pink Ladies demonstrated great flexibility, moving around between positions and had some good passages of play from defence into attack; Charlotte Brookes and Kerry Fox both moved the ball through the court well. Comets, however, had the upper hand throughout the game, scoring regularly despite the damp conditions. Lottie Mayers also excelled at GK for Comets, earning herself both umpires’ player and players’ player, and prevented Pink Ladies from increasing their own goal count.
Player of the match awards:
- Stratford Ladies Blues: Umpires’ player – Lottie Baird, players’ player – Caroline Whitfield.
- BDR: Umpires’ player – Debbie Mertens Dixon, players’ player – Jas Hastie.
- Shooters Sparks: Umpires’ player and players’ player – Rebecca Heath.
- Thunderbirds: Umpires’ player and players’ player – Carolyn Stacey.
- Comets Tornadoes: Umpires’ player and players’ player – Lottie Mayers.
- Pink Ladies: Umpires’ player – Charlotte Brookes, players’ player – Kerry Fox.
- Trust Helping Hands: Umpires’ player – Katie Desmond, players’ player – Rachel Goodman.
- Stratford Ladies Purples: Umpires’ player – Sam Murdoch, players’ player – Rebecca England.