Thunderbirds 2 41 Comets Tornadoes 45
BDR 28 Trust Helping Hands 16
Thunderbirds 3 38 Thunderbirds 5 11
Thunderbirds 1 26 Stratford Ladies Blues 36
Shooters Sparks 24 Thunderbirds 4 19
After the half term break, a dry but very autumnal morning saw teams back on court. The early match between Shooters Flames and Stratford Ladies Purples was super close! Purples took a healthy lead in the first quarter but Flames settled into their game and narrowed the gap in the second. The game remained tight from then on. Purples were disappointed with some basic errors in the final quarter and, just 2 behind in the last few minutes, Flames saw the opportunity to push forward for a draw or to sneak the win. With just one goal separating the teams at the final whistle, Flames were frustrated to be so close but happy with a good result against the top of the table team and to take 2 well earned points.
Another close game played out between Thunderbirds 2 and Comets Tornadoes. Umpires' players choices identified a great opposing partnership in the circle of Ellie Lees - GS for Thunderbirds - and Katie Irgin - GK for Comets. The players awards were focused more on the midcourt support for both teams' WAs - Thunderbirds' Holly Binks and Molly Paish of Comets. A well fought game ended with just 4 goals between them - 5 points for Comets and 2 for Thunderbirds.
This week had a Thunderbirds club derby match between Team 3 and Team 5. Team 3 lead throughout the game and took a comfortable win. Team 5's strongest scoring phase was in the third quarter. Their sub Esme Fereday came on and played in a variety of positions, making an impact in each. Umpires recognised her contribution to the game as she took her time with the ball and made accurate passes.
Meanwhile Thunderbirds 1 faced 2nd place Stratford Ladies Blues. Thunderbirds' team of youngsters started strong and took an early lead in the first quarter which they held to the interval, coming in with a 1 goal lead. Blues responded in the 2nd quarter and at half time they had a 6 goal lead. The third period was Blues' highest scoring quarter and they stretched their lead further. Thunderbirds team were not deterred and continued to play their game consistently. New Blues player Beth Pickering showed her adaptability across the court, starting at C, playing GD and finishing at GA making a strong contribution at each position and earning her oppositions' player of the match. Thunderbirds won the final quarter by 9 goals to 8 to close the gap slightly, and fully deserve their point from the game.
The final game was between Shooters Sparks and Thunderbirds 4. Sparks came into the game with a determined mindset having been focusing on working together and communicating in training. Equally determined, Thunderbirds were strong in defence with Sofia French taking both umpires' and players' player playing at GD & GK, and also in the attacking circle as they clocked up their highest goal tally of the season so far. Sparks were delighted to win, and Thunderbirds fully deserve the 2 points earned for being within 5 of the winning total.
Player of the match awards
- Shooters Flames: Umpires' player - Sian Betteridge, Players' player - Naomi Parker
- Stratford Ladies Purples: Umpires' player - Rebecca England, Players' player - Clare Peirson
- Thunderbirds 2: Umpires' player - Ellie Lees, Players' player - Holly Binks
- Comets Tornadoes: Umpires' player - Katie Irgin, Players' player - Molly Paish
- BDR: Umpires' player - Ami Mertens-Dixon, Players' player - Helen Handy
- Trust Helping Hands: Umpires' and players' player - Leonie Green
- Thunderbirds 3: Umpires' player - Lizzie Chute, Players' player - Gracie Edmunds
- Thunderbirds 5: Umpires' player - Esme Fereday, Players' player - Lindsay Ampuller
- Thunderbirds 1: Umpires' player - Lily Edwards, Players' player - Issie Owrid
- Stratford Ladies Blues: Umpires' player - Ani Bradley, Players' player - Beth Pickering
- Shooters Sparks: Umpires' player - Kara Cooke, Players' player - Libbie Fox
- Thunderbirds 4: Umpires' and players' player - Sofia French